Potato starch uses
Potato starch is starch extracted from potatoes. The cells of the root tubers of the potato plant contain starch grains (leucoplasts). To extract the starch, the potatoes are crushed; the starch grains are released from the destroyed cells. The starch is then washed out and dried to powder.
Potato starch contains typical large oval spherical granules; their size ranges between 5 and 100 μm. Potato starch is a very refined starch, containing minimal protein or fat. This gives the powder a clear white colour, and the cooked starch typical characteristics of neutral taste, good clarity, high binding strength, long texture and a minimal tendency to foaming or yellowing of the solution.
Ptato & potato starch
Potato starch contains approximately 800 ppm phosphate bound to the starch; this increases the viscosity and gives the solution a slightly anionic character, a low gelatinisation temperature (approximately 140 °F or 60 °C) and high swelling power.
Starch derivatives are used in many recipes, for example in noodles, wine gums, cocktail nuts, potato chips, hot dog sausages, bakery cream and instant soups and sauces, in gluten-free recipes in kosher foods for Passover and in Asian cuisine. In pastry, e.g. sponge cake, it is used to keep the cake moist and give a soft texture. It is also occasionally used in the preparation of pre-packed grated cheese, to reduce sweating and binding.
Potato starch uses
Other examples are helmipuuro, a porridge made from monodisperse grains of potato starch and milk, and papeda (the Moluccan community in the Netherlands uses potato starch to make papeda). It is also used in technical applications as wallpaper adhesive, for textile finishing and textile sizing, in paper coating and sizing, and as an adhesive in paper sacks and gummed tape.
Potato starch was also used in one of the earlier color photography processes, the Lumière brothers' Autochrome Lumière, until the arrival of colour film in the mid-1930s.
Leave a Message
- The Cassava Processing Industry in Nigeria: Traditional Techniques, Technological Developments and New Opportunity
- The Cassava Processing Industry in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Economic importance of cassava in Nigeria
- Factors affecting the yield of sweet potato starch for sweet potato starch processing
- What is the cost of cassava processing equipment ?
- How to maintain dewatering screw press ?
- Sweet potato starch making machine price analysis
- Economic importance of sweet potato in the Philippines
- What is the price of cassava grater machine ?
- Using automated potato starch processing equipment for starch production is a trend
- Tips on choose cassava flour processing machine manufacturer
- How to make tapioca flour from cassava？
- How is starch extracted from cassava? How does modern cassava starch processing equipment work?
- How to dry cassava starch for processing cassava into starch?
- What is the price of cassava starch processing machine?
- What is the price of flash dryer for cassava flour/starch？
- How to buy suitable cassava flour processing machine to start cassava flour business?
- How to make cassava starch at home? Handmade & Mechanical production
Leave a message