Corn Syrup vs.High-Fructose Corn Syrup: Is there a difference?
We have been hearing people say they are reluctant to use corn syrup in their baking because of the negative health effects associated with high-fructose corn syrup. But the truth is that corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup are two different products.
Both products are made from corn starch, but regular corn syrup is 100 percent glucose, while high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) has had some of its glucose converted to fructose enzymatically. Scientists are examining the potentially negative effects of consuming large amounts of fructose in the form of HFCS, but regular corn syrup is not part of that consideration, as it does not contain fructose.
That doesn't necessarily mean the corn syrup you buy in the store is HFCS-free, unfortunately. Manufacturers sometimes add HFCS to regular corn syrup, but it will be listed as an ingredient if that is the case. So read labels carefully or stick with Karo, which does not add HFCS to their products. (When Emma wrote about this issue in 2008, Karo did add HFCS to their corn syrup, but that has changed.)
Of course, like all refined sweeteners, corn syrup should be consumed in moderation. A few times a year around the holidays — in your grandmother's famous pecan pie recipe or the caramel candies everyone loves — sounds just about right.
Leave a Message About Corn Syrup vs.High-Fructose Corn Syrup: Is there a difference?
- How to make cassava flour in nigeria ?
- What is potato starch used for?
- How does cassava starch production line works ?
- Sweet potato production technology for starch
- How to make cassava starch from cassava roots ?
- How to make high quality cassava flour ?
- How to separate potato starch ?
- What is the potato starch drying machine working process ?
- Isolation of starch from cassava process
- How to remove starch from sweet potatoes ？
- How to set up cassava processing plant ? Cassava processing plant layout design
- How to store sweet potatoes for winter ?
- Potato starch processing plant layout - water and electricity configuration
- What's the price of potato peeler machine? commercial potato peeler machine price
- Sweet potato starch processing in the Philippines
Leave a message