The Difference between Potato Flour and Potato Starch
Fresh potatoPotato Starch
Potato starch is a very fine white powder starch, similar in texture to cornstarch. If you’re not very careful when working with and measuring potato starch, you can create quite a cloud in the kitchen!
It is made from the dried starch component of peeled potatoes. It has no potato flavor so works well in most recipes, sweet or savory.
As part of the starch component of a gluten free flour blend, potato starch lends a light, fluffy texture to baked goods.
It is also a great thickener in gravies, sauces, and even in custards and puddings, which typically use cornstarch.
This is great news for individuals with a corn allergy or those on a grain-free diet. Potato starch is also permitted for Passover (for this reason, some stores stock it in the Kosher section; if you are having trouble locating it in your supermarket, be sure to check there).
Both potato starch and potato flour are available in most mainstream markets or specialty stores.
Potato flour is made from whole potatoes (most of the time even the peel is included). The potatoes can be raw or cooked. Either way they are first dried then ground into flour.
The result is a heavy, cream colored flour with a distinct potato flavor. The flour readily absorbs liquid (similar to coconut flour in this regard), so it works best when incorporated into gluten-free flour blends in small amounts. Too much potato flour in a recipe will cause the finished product to be dense and gummy. For example, a muffin with too much potato flour would never fully cook through.
However, used in smaller quantities, the same properties of potato flour that lead to an overly dense and doughy finished product can actually mimic gums and help hold a recipe together. It also lends a hearty texture to baked goods. This, along with the potato flavor it imparts, can make potato flour a good choice in recipes for savory gluten-free breads or rolls.
What you will see more often used in gluten free recipes is potato starch.
Leave a Message About The Difference between Potato Flour and Potato Starch
- Economic importance of sweet potato in the Philippines
- What is the price of cassava grater machine ?
- Using automated potato starch processing equipment for starch production is a trend
- World potato starch production development prospect
- What are basis for cassava flour processing equipment selection ?
- Sweet potato production technology in Pakistan
- What is the cost of cassava processing equipment ?
- Overview of sweet potato starch industry in China
- How to maintain potato starch machine ?
- How to set up cassava processing plant ? Cassava processing plant layout design
- How to remove starch from cassava ?
- How to process high quality cassava flour ?
- Modern rice milling process
- Glucose syrup production process
- What is the process of production of starch from potato ?
- How to make cassava flour in nigeria ?
- How to make high quality cassava flour ?
- How to separate potato starch ?
Leave a message