What is the function of starch?
A type of complex carbohydrate, starch is found in a wide range of foods, including potatoes and whole grains. Starch breaks down into glucose in your body, providing a more gradual energy source for your bodily processes than simple carbohydrates, such as refined sugar. Carbohydrates, such as starches, provide the majority of fuel for your body, so it makes up a significant part of your caloric intake.
What is starch function?
In terms of dietary function, the only purpose of starch is to change into glucose to be used as energy for your body. Glucose is the usable form of carbohydrate for your body. Glucose circulates throughout your body in your bloodstream, and gets taken up by cells and used as a source of fuel. Glucose is used to power all of your bodily functions, and it's the main source of energy for your brain and nervous system.
While most starches are broken down by your body into glucose, some starches, known as resistant starches, pass undigested into your colon. These starches function much like dietary fiber. They provide nutrition for the beneficial bacteria in your colon, keeping them thriving and healthy. There are four types of resistant starch. The first is found inside the indigestible cell walls of plants; the second is considered indigestible unless it is heated; the third is sometimes called retrograded starch, as long cooking times followed by a cooling period make them more difficult to digest; and the last is industrial resistant starch. This last type of starch is chemically modified and is not a natural starch.
Leave a Message About What is the function of starch?
- What vegetables are starches ?
- What's the difference between cassava flour and tapioca flour?
- How to remove starch from cassava ?
- How to process high quality cassava flour ?
- Modern rice milling process
- Glucose syrup production process
- What is the process of production of starch from potato ?
- How to make cassava flour in nigeria ?
- What is potato starch used for?
- How does cassava starch production line works ?
Leave a message